Header Section

Smart money/Coming Soon

Retirement Fears: Is Working In Retirement In Your Future?


In this economic environment, it is even more important to properly plan with an educated, competent financial advisor.

Read this edition of Retirement Fears to get the statistics that show many retirees aren't truly...retired.

Compiled by Jared Trexler
Comment, Question, Discussion Topic on your mind? Click on the Blue Comment Link below and leave your thoughts then check back to see what other consumers and advisors think.

*Copyright 2010 Ed Slott and Company, LLC



Thursday's Slott Report Mailbag

Consumers: Send in Your Questions to [email protected]

If a person makes contributions to an IRA then realizes they are over the income level to get a tax deduction, can they remove those contributions plus income if they haven’t filed their tax return for the year of the contributions?

Situation: $4,800 was contributed to an IRA in 2011. I am extending my tax filing so I have not filed Form 8606 for 2011. I filed the IRS Form 5498 showing the contributions.

If I can remove the contributions, what steps do I need to take?

Thanks for your help.